Sunday, January 20, 2013

Job vs Profession

What makes work "work"? There is a distinct difference between having a job and creating a career. I'm not saying that everybody doesn't have those days where they are so frustrated with work that they would rather be doing something else. But if you genuinely can't say there are more days when you feel excited to walk into work than not, you are probably in a "job". Answers.com states that the difference between a job and a profession is that a profession "should be one that the individual continues to desire to return to day after day without dread."

I have to admit that I'm very lucky. There are many people who don't get the opportunity to go to school to study for a profession. Who may not have the resources to pursue the opportunities they dream of (or have to work harder than others to create those opportunities).

Earlier this year, a group of coaches and I had a chance to renew some of our "professional" spirit at the Twelfth Annual Instructional Coaching Conference (here we are with Bob Marzano). It was a great way to connect with other professionals as well as renew our focus on our work. While I learned a lot about what is going on in the realm of coaching across the globe, I learned a lot about myself and the way I approach my work. I've come to realize more and more that to be a successful coach you have to start with the inside.

As I continue to refine my skills, I have to focus on how I am approaching my work. Am I getting the results I desire? If not, what do I need to change? How could I look at the problem differently?

How will you approach your vocation this week? Are you going to "work" or are you going to your "profession"? 


No comments:

Post a Comment